First GX9 Observations

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
slartz
slartz Senior Member • Posts: 2,068
First GX9 Observations

Hi,

Got my GX9 a week ago. did not yet have a lot of chance to play with it, but have some observations nonetheless.

I'll start with the good things:

• It's really fast. Faster than before. General operation, handling, etc. May not be up to par with my G9, but definitely great.
  • The sensor seems to be the new 20MP sensor. I haven't yet dived real deep into it, but seems like IQ, DR, etc are on par with the G9 (to be confirmed). 
  • LOVE the AF/MF lever. 
  • Menu system tweaked a bit and includes now my menu and is generally identical to G9. Makes it easy as a second camera. 
  • Low Power Bluetooth works just like on the G9. Which means great. You get automatic geotagging and automatic time setting from the phone. just great.
  • It is otherwise as good as the GX85 was - meaning great

Now for the bad things:

• The EVF is still not great. Just like the GX85. Also - the tiltable EVF is a nice gimmick, but can't see it being super useful. I would have opted for a better non tiltable one. I might try buying the optional eyecap - it might do better. 
  • The Exposure Compensation dial is nice, but unhelpful. What do I mean by that? If you allow the camera to use it, then the rear dial just becomes useless. Panasonic will not allow setting the rear dial to something else (lessay ISO?). So it is just a tad harder to use (it's a little too stiff) and limited (only 3 stops, not 5), dial, compared to the rear dial. I ended up disabling the exp comp on my camera and use the rear dial. I understand it is probably helpful if you're shooting from the hip, but I don't do that very often. 

Bottom line - I'm still happy I upgraded from my GX85. The improved sensor, Low power bluetooth, faster operation, better image processor, MF lever, and better G9 parity on UI makes it worthwhile upgrade for me. Having said that, I'm a little disappointed with the limited implementation of the Exposure dial, and the lack of upgrade on the EVF...

slartz's gear list:slartz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +9 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow