1DXII Out~!! A7RIII is IN!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Slaginfected Regular Member • Posts: 462
Re: 1DXII Out~!! A7RIII is IN!

Colin46 wrote:

Ryanide wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, I love the 1DXII and my intention with this post is to let Canon know that there are many people, like myself, that would like options that they are not currently offering. If they see that even photographers who are heavily invested in Canon gear are making the change to another brand because they don’t have a camera that competes in a category, then maybe that will influence their future products. I know I’m not the only one who is wanting a mirrorless FF Canon body.

For me, the weight consideration for travel photography is the main reason for buying the Sony body. I’m going to keep all my Canon lenses as hopefully there will be a mirrorless body soon. And, I will keep the 1DXII as it is an incredible camera, but I’m not taking for travel.

I did the same thing, i sold my Canon 1dxII and 5dsr and a load of Canon L glass from 16-35 upto 500 f4 and bought a Sony a7rIII and a9.

That was a big mistake for me.

I found out first hand the hard way that the a9 is built like a cheap bottom of the line plastic dslr and the 24-70 G master build quality is a joke.

I was on the first hour of a photo trip up into the highlands of Scotland when a big gust of wind blew over my Gitzo 5 series tripod and the a9 and 24-70 hit the deck, not that hard but the viewfinder smashed, the rear screen smashed and the body split into 2 pieces. The 24-70 left its bent mount attached on the camera and broke into 2 pieces revealing 4 little plastic posts that fix the mount to the lens body.

I must add that ive had a 1dx fall from the same height with the 70-200 f2.8 attached and the camera had a slight scuff mark on one of its corners and the lens was undamaged.

From a usability point of view, the Sony's are way off Canon ergonomics, in that the Sony's feel uncomfortable to handhold over a long period and the menus are a joke.

From an image quality point of view, you cant really criticize Sony, they make the best sensors out there, however, ive compared images from the a7rIII with the 5dsr and images from the a9 and the 1dxII and in real world terms you cant see any difference.

To sum up, ive now sold the sony gear and gone back to Canon with the 1dxII again and a 5d mark 4where I feel much happier. It was an expensive mistake but a worthwhileone for me.

2.5kg tripod (without head?) and mounted camera being toppled over by wind alone either means it was not standing safely or "big gust of wind" and "not that hard" don't really match up. Regardless, the camera+lens had to bear not only their own weight, but that of the tripod, too, and had some inertia from getting toppled over in the first place. I'd like to see any Canon coming out of this unscathed, and for the sake of arguing lets make a test series to see the possible deviations.

I've seen enough pro grade DSLR equip breaking in one way or another from much smaller falls. No camera maker gives you any guarantees regarding impact, not even Canikon for their big bricks. I have a Nikon 1 AW1 where this is different, but this camera comes with the typical additional heft of ruggedness (and had a good number of industrial rugged devices in my hand). A rugged Canon 1D-whatever would be way heavier and thicker.

Infact, you could make a rugged A9 and still come out with the body size of a Canon 1D, but not the other way around.

In the end its important that you are happy with your equip, but your example is like running on this ice: Not much support. Let a phone fall from some height and it may get a scratch one time or break the screen the next time. It always depends on how its falling. I've had some impacts with my A7s and it is still living; granted, I haven't managed to get it toppled over together with a tripod (where I'd expect any camera to break in one way or another with such a 'heavy' tripod).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow