HP laptop with non-sleeping phd

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
yanisha Senior Member • Posts: 2,234
HP laptop with non-sleeping phd

I have 2 Western Digital My Passport portable hds (4tb, 2tb) that I use with my Dell and HP laptops (both Win10CU). With my Dell when the computer goes to sleep the phds will also go to sleep, but with my HP Spectre x360 when the computer goes to sleep the phds will spin and the light will stay steady on. I have the current BIOS. I have tried plugging into all 3 of my computer USB ports.

When I have been using the HP (but not accessing the phd) the phd after 10 minutes of non-use will stop spinning and the light will slowly blink, which is as it should be (same on Dell laptop). If I access it then it will spin up and the light will be steady on. If the phd is not spinning and the light is slowly blinking and I put the computer to sleep the phd will then spin up and the light will be steady on. It will never stop while the computer is asleep.

I discovered that if instead of sleep I select hibernate then the phds will stop spinning and the light will go off.

Again, with my Dell laptop I don't have this problem. When the Dell goes to sleep the phds will stop spinning and the light will go off.

Any ideas?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow