Need flash advice for candids in a church gym

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,691
Need flash advice for candids in a church gym

I'm primarily a natural-light photographer and don't shoot full-frame yet, but I'm planning to shoot an event in a dimly lit church gym and figure I'll need a reliable, powerful bounce flash if I want to keep my ISO under 800 on the a77ii.

I do own the Minolta 5400HS with hotshoe adapter, but honestly I don't trust it. The adapter comes loose and then I'm surprised with a "incompatible device" message in the middle of rapid fire shooting, or else the flash doesn't fire. I don't want to be constantly fretting about how tightly the two connections are.

I could rent a Sony for about $30. But if There's a reasonable Godox or Neewar or other brand that could be had new under $100 with the native hotshoe, I'd prefer to spend the extra and get one for keeps.

The gym has typical high ceilings. If they don't use the ugly flourescents in there, the alternative is warm multidirectional stage lighting.

Your experienced recommendations are appreciated! Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow