D500 / D850 AF Problems in AF-C 3D Tracking Mode

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dkov70 New Member • Posts: 19
D500 / D850 AF Problems in AF-C 3D Tracking Mode

Hi everybody,

i have following problem - if i shoot a focus test chart with either D500 or D850 the AF is perfect in AF-C d25 (or single point or d72 etc) mode. If i make the same AF-Test in AF-C 3D mode i get considerable front focus, lens independent and not correctable by AF-finetune

I have never used 3D mode in field, i find it inconsistent and jumpy and tried it now just for fun, after it was repeatedly so highly prized bei dpreview.

The Nikon itself does not really recommend 3D mode for shooting sports with D500, mainly d25 oder d72:

http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d500_tips/af/recommended_af_settings/

I have talked to and sent my D500 to Nikon service with concise problem description. They sent the camera back and stated, everything is O.K., i should make AF tests only in AF-S single point mode at 1.5 m distance with 50mm equivalent lens (???!!!)

Can please somebody with D500 (or D850) make the same test - shoot a focus test target in AF-C d25 and then in AF-C 3D to replicate or to debunk my findings?

TIA!!!

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow