D850 Exposure Help Please

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pixel boy Contributing Member • Posts: 936
D850 Exposure Help Please

Having had the D850 for a few weeks I have been getting used to the customisation etc, and today went out to "try" and get some images of Herons! BIG FAIL

I have been doing BIF for a couple of years and definitely lots to learn.

I understand that I maybe need to go out first thing in the morning when the light is low and will hopefully light the bird up. However can I have some advise please.

With the first image was I on to a hiding just due to the lighting conditions?

Would filling the frame with a longer lens have helped the exposure?

I guess my shutter could have been lower, allowing for lower ISO?

Are there any exposure modes that would have worked better, centre weighted or spot?

As you can see from the histogram, I was trying to over expose so I would need

to pull the shadows less and therefore less noise and that obviously hasn't worked.

Also the noise seems high to me, I just took the image of the plane as I was walking back to the car but at 100% it looks noisier than I would have thought?

I understand that exposure is critical and maybe I was just expecting too much from a RAW file, any help much appreciated, obviously when you nail is as in the last shot, the detail is phenomenal at 100% its a wonderful camera.

This was the best out of about 100 shots

Pixel boy's gear list:Pixel boy's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow