New to MFT, looking to get a body and lens for compact telephoto

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Frodro100 Regular Member • Posts: 249
New to MFT, looking to get a body and lens for compact telephoto

What can you all tell me about the slow but compact telephoto lenses for MFT, and the bare minimum body I'd need to use one, in terms of having an EVF and good enough looking high ISO noise to use the shutter speeds required to get a sharp photo with a 100mm f/5.6 lens on a cloudy day?

I really like the look of the Panasonic 35-100mm f/4-5.6 lens. I think it could be useful while hiking for wildlife spontaneously encountered on the trail, and these focal lengths can be useful for landscape photography as well, at least in the mountains when the landscape is so large. Can anyone comment on this lens or other lenses like it?

Some background: In the past, when I've gone hiking in the mountains, I've typically had a DSLR slung around my neck with a pancake lens to have it at-the-ready for snapshots during the hike. It's a well balanced combination that allows me to document my trip, but focal length is limited with a DSLR if I stick with the compact form factor, since pancake lenses are typically in the wide to normal focal length ranges. Even APS-C mirrorless cameras are only a little better in this regard. (I know there are strap systems to make longer lenses a little more stable and eliminate the swaying, but I have tried many of these and am not really interested in going that route; the weight is still too much).

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow