New to FZ2500 video - need advice

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat
downunder3 Regular Member • Posts: 158
New to FZ2500 video - need advice

I have been a serious amateur photographer for many years now. Recently, when sorting through a storage shed on the family property, I came across an old heavy bogen 3050 tripod with a manfrotto 501 fluid head that appears to fit the bill for assisting to make a very good video setup. I have no idea how long it had been in the shed.

This find pricked my curiousity for what is to me a totally new medium - video. I decided to go looking for a camera that I could be used for photography but whose real emphasis was video. I bought a FZ2500 and it is in the mail to me right now. The first opportunity to use this camera in serious video mode will be at my Grandson's under 11 outdoor soccer match in two weeks time. My intention is to set it up the camera near the sideline on the tripod and start videoing. I may even get adventurous and try some handheld videoing or perhaps using my camera monopod.

From what I have read, I should set the camera up in manual mode and perhaps manual focusing (but I have no idea how easy it is to use manual focussing with this camera) with the shutter speed set at twice the reciprocal of the frame rate (and what is the best frame rate?) and stop the aperture down to assist keeping events in focus.  I assume I turn off vibration reduction when on the tripod and monopod. I have taken lots of photos over the years of the grandkids playing sport. The best results have been obtained with a Nikon d7200 and an old f/4 300mm lens set for continuous auto focusing  on a monopod. I have enjoyed some great photographic results. But for video and this camera I am a total newbie.

The camera should arrive next Monday or Tuesday. I will play with it every day until the soccer match to gain familiarity with it but I would very much appreciate any advice that could assist me in getting hopefully some great results in my first true video shoot.

Nikon D7200 Panasonic FZ2500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow