Scale Model Photography

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alpha Whiskey Photography
Alpha Whiskey Photography Junior Member • Posts: 26
Scale Model Photography

Not sure where exactly to post this so I'll put it here.

Photographing scale models intrigued me a great deal as it required imagination, invention and planning. There also aren't that many people doing this kind of work. Despite the potential for ridicule it can teach one a great deal about lighting, composition, framing and post-processing, all of which are essential to any genre of digital photography.

These were all shot with die cast models, ranging in size from 1/18 scale down to 1/48. Most of it was recreating the 1980s with models from popular TV shows of the decade. We set up a makeshift studio with foil reflectors and sheathed lamps to contain shadows. As much as possible was done in camera with practical effects such as LED lights and torches, smoke, flour and breadcrumbs, and even birthday cake sparklers. The black road was a sheet of cardboard spray painted with two thin strips of yellow electrical tape stuck down the middle. Distant backgrounds were added in post from my archive of travel photos.

Everything was shot with mirrorless gear.

More info about these projects can be found here .

Airwolf rising up in its lair. A die cast model hung in front of a plain background and a rocky wall from The Black Canyons in Colorado added in post.

The car is a 1/43 BMW i8 bought for pennies at a local supermarket.

Videos of these projects can be seen here  and here .

Enjoy

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow