G or GM zooms? Getting started with Sony glass

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
thiefofpresence
thiefofpresence Contributing Member • Posts: 548
G or GM zooms? Getting started with Sony glass

I am a Nikon D500 shooter thinking of making the jump to Sony Alpha via the A7iii (as soon as you can buy one again...)

With my initial budget <$6K (based on divesting on my Nikon system), I could pick up the body with one of the following initial lens systems:

Option A:
Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens
Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens

Option B:
Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G Lens
Sony FE 70-200mm f/4 G OSS Lens
Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 Lens

Option A has the premium GM glass, but I'll be representing the wide end with a single prime

Option B has two of the F/4 trinity G series zooms (yes I prioritize the ends of the trinity more than the middle), and has a nominal fast normal prime to represent the missing range

I guess my question is about the F/4 G glass: I am aware that F/4 in full frame is supposed to be as delightful as the F/2.8 glass I've used on crop sensor cameras (which I have quite thoroughly enjoyed). Have any of you that bought G zooms regretted not getting the GM glass? Or could I hear from people that have shot F/2.8 on crop cameras confirm that the F/4 experience in full frame is just as good?

Finally, if anyone has taken another approach to getting started with their Sony System, by all means share your strategy.

I see the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 zoom is on the horizon, but remains unpriced as yet... Given my experience with a similar lens for Nikon, I could not remain more impressed by the quality vs price value, and can only hope that it comes in under $1300-1400, and that the 75-200 comes shortly behind it.

thiefofpresence's gear list:thiefofpresence's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +1 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow