Attacks? (.gz files attempted dl)

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SantaFeBill Senior Member • Posts: 2,752
Attacks? (.gz files attempted dl)

Something new, just in the last few days: I'll be on the Internet, when Internet Download Manager will come up with its usual small screen saying it will dl a file.

Problem is, I haven't asked for a file dl, and the file names ('names' plural - this has happened several times) are ones I do not recognize.

The file names vary, but so far have always ended with the '.gz' extension (a Unix compressed file format).

Fortunately, IDM lets me cancel the dl and stop automatic dl's from that source, but there is more than one source, since I keep getting the prompt to dl a different file from another source.

These seem to be attacks, otherwise why different file names and sources, and doing it w.o. my asking? Am I wrong? Is a there a way to stop them, other that on a case-by-case basis?

Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm running NIS 2014 and Malwarebytes Premium. both with the latest updates. Neither has reported anything unusual or any blocking activity. Recent scans (default quick - not full) scans from each didn't flag anything. The usual protection settings are enabled in each.

I'll do a full scan with each later today when I don't need to have the computer available, and report here.

Any insights would be most appreciated!

Win7 Pro 64-bit. FF 52.7.3 ESR 64-bit.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow