Nasty color bleed on pushed A7III RAW (compressed, silent shutter)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
OP mrbenji Regular Member • Posts: 337
Re: ISO setting for files that need pushing

PWPhotography wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

Note the last word in this sentence:

"If you have enough light to expose ISOs 200-500 correctly [ ... ]"

Correctly is the key here. The OP pushed the files.

You are right that OP's photo was underexposed, so it's better pushing ISO 640 than ISO 400 although only slightly.

So... "underexposed" is being thrown around like it's an objective determination. Within reason, isn't it a matter of opinion whether I underexposed? I exposed for the highlights, so the blinds weren't completely blown out and so I could see how the shadows handled extreme recovery. I had zero shadow clipping despite the scene's extreme DR... so I expect I could have dialed the exposure down even a tad more. I don't think mine was a particularly-unreasonable approach, given the A7III's impressive DR.

SOOC Histogram:

Not saying I'm planning to make a habit of shooting scenes as crazy as this one was, but it's nice to know the A7III makes scenes like totally possible to shoot if/when they come up... I don't believe I could've said that about my A7II or A6000.

mrbenji's gear list:mrbenji's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Venus Laowa 15mm F4 1:1 Macro Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow