For those of you who own the new 15-45 or...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 19,530
For those of you who own the new 15-45 or...

...have been thinking about it and you've been a bit disappointed that Fuji didn't make a lens hood for it - well, I've got a superb recommendation for the ideal lens hood for this particular new optic.  Please read on...

This new XC 15-45 is a unique lens - not only because it's a PZ lens in the true sense of the word - but specifically because of it's obvious wider 22.5 MM focal reach.  This makes the lens superb for scenics or architectural photography - but even more so, it is a exceptionaslly sharp optic that belies its "kit lens" designation.  But because of its wider focal view, using the right lens hood (without it looking visually unappealing) becomes almost impossible.  As an aside, I've written a review on this lens a few weeks ago - see here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60970817

In that review, I had mentioned that I had been painstakingly trying to find the right wide angle lens hood that would fit (and perform) with this particular wider angle than usual optic.  At that point, I could not find any suitable lenses without using a combination of much larger 52 MM to whatever step-up rings, plus using larger filters, and then adding even larger lens hoods.  In each case, the vignetting was severe, and if something did seem to work, the visual work-around looked absolutely horrible (i.e. lens hood being so larger that it eclipsed the camera and lens).

Well, after virtually testing and experimenting with over 31 different hood, step-up rings, filter combinations, I found the ideal lens hood that not only works superbly (meaning no vignetting and it looks superb on the lens), but it does a hell of a good job of keeping lens flare out of the lens - even when focusing directly at a scene with the sun directly in front and above!!!

So I've done all the extensive lens hood testing for you and here is my final recommendation.  It's manufactured by Fotodiox and you can get it off of Amazon.  Ignore the fact that Fotodiox advertises this to work on various Nikon cameras.  The lens hood kit comes in 3 pieces - the adapter ring that screws directly into the lens (52 MM), and you then can add a 52 MM to the adapter (which is metal BTW). Then there's the lens hood that clips into the adapter, and it comes with a lens cap also.  But the 15-45 Fuji lens cap fits perfectly on this.

Here's the link - it costs around $13 USD.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006P5KUMW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The good thing about this particular lens hood kit is that it works superbly with other wider angle lenses that have a 52 MM screw-in diameter.  I cannot talk highly enough about this.

Of course, many of you wouldn't attach a lens hood, which is just fine.  But to those of us who value lens hoods (regardless of the size of a lens), this is a superb recommendation.

Here's what it looks like:

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
Bernd ("Ben") Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina USA

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus SP-570 UZ Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X10 +41 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HZP
HZP
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow