Not enough light?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
A Wingnut
A Wingnut Regular Member • Posts: 183
Not enough light?

I am having some trouble with my new set up. I am using an a6000 with the 90mm Sony Macro lens. When outside, in shade, midday, aperture is set to 2.8, flash set for +3, shutter at 100-120, and ISO is set to 100. With this set up, outside, midday, in shade, they are still severely underexposed. Even with the flash an inch from the subject, it’s still too dark.

How common is it for y’all to have to set your ISO up from 100? I was trying to prevent this, however, this set up appears to be taking far more light than I can possibly provide. Last night, inside my house, I set up a 100w light bulb, set it directly on it (I know, harsh light, but I was testing it), and the flash, and images started to finally appear, but were STILL underexposed. ISO has to be up to 1600 before I get anything, and at that point, the photo appears to already be getting grainy. Changed the batteries in the flash and still the same.

I am afraid to invest in another flash at this point because I already spent a lot of money and I will be really disappointed if I spen $200+ on a flash and it’s still too dark.

I have a pic, but the site won’t let me post a TIF and I am unsure how to convert it on an iPad. Basically, I managed to get a salvageable photo using a direct 100w bulb, flash, aperture of 2.8, and shutter speed of about 80 or 100. Had to bring it up 1 full stop and then, adding highlights, shadows etc, it brought it up to “adequate”. The photo just doesn’t have any feeling to it.

*Edit* Just realized I should mention, I am using the flash on TTL. I was told I should do that. The metering is showing -2 with everything cranked. Maybe I am missing a setting on the flash too? I will also try changing the settings and seeing if it’s a TTL issue. The flash is a $50 Sony flash.

A Wingnut's gear list:A Wingnut's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow