KP & DA 16-45 in "P" mode

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 1,452
KP & DA 16-45 in "P" mode

https://lawrencehelm.smugmug.com/RiverPhotography/Apr-2018/i-2rfz4Jf/A

As a results of discussions, mostly with KPM2 and Flektogon, I decided to try the P mode on an entire hike. I set only the shutter speed (1/500), leaving everything else up to the KP and its P mode.

The P mode kept the aperture as low as possible. DA 16-45 is f/4 and that is the aperture used for most of the shots I took, but probably not most of the shots I posted.

I have a friend who is a painter. She liked these shots more than I did; although I especially liked two shots of my Irish Terrier looking at me out of some tall grass with her tongue lolling. But these two shots are at a range that would be suitable to a studio. I don't think the aperture settings between f/4 and f/5.6 are the best ones for landscape shots.

On a few occasions I would aim at a scene, press the shutter half way down and not get anything in the viewfinder. On one occasion I thought it might be in focus and somehow I missed the display in the viewfinder; so I pushed the shutter all the way down, but the camera wouldn't snap the picture. I thought there might be something wrong with the camera. This happened on my previous hike with the 16-85. But I wonder if this has something to do with the settings. It seemed to occur when I moved the camera to a new situation. There was a menu setting that said the camera would slowly acquire a new focus when moved to a different situation. I changed that so that it would change focus immediately -- don't know if that will help.

The camera is set at "AF.S setting, focus-priority" and the Hold AF Status is set at "off."

As part of another discussion I set the "Program Line" to the symbol of a runner and then changed it to the symbol of a person standing by a mountain, but the settings didn't change so I'm guessing that "Program Line" applies to JPEG shooting only.

I have the Viewfinder Overlay "superimpose AF Area" with a red indicator light. I don't think that was the camera default, but I can't see how that would cause this problem.

I noticed the "Auto Power Off" was set at 1 minute. It may be that the above happened when it had been more than a minute since I had taken the previous photo. I just now changed this setting from 1 minute to 3 minutes. I'm not worried about using up a battery since I carry a spare in my bag.

Whoops. Just noticed I forgot to get the latest firmware -- off to do that now.

Lawrence

PS: Hmmm.  Went off to get the KP firmware updates but couldn't find any.  Are there any?

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-600 Olympus E-5 +81 more
Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow