Nordic Walking.....street shot or snapshot??

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
simpix Regular Member • Posts: 224
Nordic Walking.....street shot or snapshot??

Nordic Walking

Where I live (East Poland- 80kms from the Ukraine border for those interested) Nordic walking is an exercise favoured mostly by older people. It always makes me smile because to my mind, people walking with poles should have skies on their feet and in the winter when it snows here you never see people 'nordic skiing'.

In this image the couple are sharing the poles, one each, which is unusual

That's the context of the image, grabbed quickly as I was leaving a coffee shop, with no time to do anything but switch on my camera, focus and shoot one frame.

My question is this.........Is this a genuine street shot or just a snapshot, albeit with a story and a reason for me taking it?

In my opinion, it has no commercial value, very little artistic merit although some might refer to the juxtaposition of the blue and yellow bin in the background with the blue trousers and yellow collar of the man, or the interplay of shadows at the couple's feet.

I dislike the distraction of the red van in the background and the man walking away behind the couple and ordinarily I would delete this shot as one of those "nearly got it right" shots.

However, I see many similar photos like this on "Street" websites so I'm curious what others' opinions are.

As I have mentioned in other postings, I am new to this type of photography, having been a Professional for many years in my home country, the UK and if I was paid to take these type of images I would but if I wasn't, I wouldn't shoot in this way.

I am struggling to get to grips with the genre as most of my old teachers would refer to a lot of the images one sees today as "Street photography" as nothing more than "Snapshots"(this one too) .

Perhaps we can discuss this issue in more depth and it could be educational to all of us?

Thank you for taking the time to read this rather long posting.........

simpix's gear list:simpix's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
fad
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow