Traded my Oly12-40 for a PL12-60

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
toronto1818 Regular Member • Posts: 199
Traded my Oly12-40 for a PL12-60

So I recently traded my mint Oly 12-40 2.8 (with box) straight up for a used PL12-60 2.8-4 from a GH5 kit.

Debated long and hard about this trade... and I am still wondering if I made the right choice, but I think for the moment, I'm pretty happy with it.

Pros for PL12-60

• Longer reach (out to 60mm rather than 40). Good as a walk-about lens.  I love the old 4/3 Oly 12-60, so this is arguably similar or better but in a smaller package;
  • Built-in OIS which works with dual IS on Panasonic bodies;
  • AF may be optimized for Panasonic bodies;
  • Balances better as it weighs less.  Found the 12-40 not just heavier, but not as well balanced as it is rather front heavy.  It handles great on the G9 or GX8;
  • The zoom ring seems to be a bit smoother;
  • Nice (Leica!) colors. Subjective, but with my limited time with it, it does seem more pleasing compared to the Oly 12-40 which can seem clinical sometimes (though sharp!);
  • Parfocal (which is good for video), though the 12-40 seemed to act like one on Oly bodies;
  • Very sharp with great IQ (possibly a wash here with the 12-40.  Unfortunately I can't compare both as it was a trade); and
  • It was more recently released with higher individual MSRP, though cheaper in a kit.

What I will miss from the Oly 12-40

• Constant 2.8 aperture! The Leica is effectively an f4 lens at the 35-40mm;
  • Snap back focus ring (though I've accidentally pulled it back and missed a shot or two as a result);
  • Worked with better on Oly bodies (including focus stacking ability on some);
  • Build quality looked slightly sturdier, though some people reported problems with broken mounts;
  • Customizable button on side;
  • Very good companion to the 40-150 2.8; and
  • My copy was very sharp

I felt like there were enough pros to outweigh the cons, especially as I recently upgraded to a Panasonic G9.  As an aside, I've been mostly an Oly shooter, but lately, I find I've been shifting to Panasonic lately, both in bodies and lenses.  I really loved the old Oly 4/3 12-60 and this seems to be the same lens but possibly better.

I really hope I made the right choice!

Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow