Anyone with experience painting solid color backdrops?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TatTwamAsi New Member • Posts: 20
Anyone with experience painting solid color backdrops?

I'm a headshot photographer in NYC. Lately I've been trying to expand my portfolio with new colors of my backdrop but it can get expensive really quick.

I recently found out that a favorite of mine (and very sought after) headshot photographer in the city likes to paint his own backdrops on simple poster board, so I decided to do the same.

I decided to start out with some solid colors, so I bought some acrylic paints and did some lovely blends of them.  My problem is that the glare from the paint can be so variable that the backdrops right now seem a little too splotchy.

I was thinking adding something like a matte finish modge podge to seal and protect it would minimize this issue.  Wondering if anyone has an experience or suggestions? I went with acrylic because it dries fast and is cheaper.  Is oil better for photography? Or might it just be that my painting method is too uneven? What do you like to use? Taking any and all suggestions.

The idea of being able to personalize the color tones of my backdrops is certainly exciting. Just looking for some experienced people who have gone on their own journey to do the same.

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow