Quitting due to US taxes

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 8,434
Quitting due to US taxes

Just did my taxes yesterday (yes I wait until the last minute on purpose). Last year was my first complete year as the exclusive photographer for a particular real estate agency's higher-end listings. They do their low to mid level listings themselves. I made a decent amount of money, for a side gig. They pay me as a 1099 contractor, so it is above board. Well, yesterday, the federal government confiscated half of it. Half. 50 percent. I have no choice but to inform this agency that my rates have doubled effective immediately, or that they can pay me in cash. I fully expect them to fire me. Even if they don't I'm not sure it's worth it to line up 4 properties to shoot in a day knowing that 2 of them will be for nothing. So basically, I quit.

Spare me the righteous platitudes of contributing to society. I do that 40 hours a week in my real job. I do this r/e gig in my spare time. I don't have to, but it's nice, and it pays for the gear and then some. The government is not going to get a piece of it again. Either I get paid in cash, or I quit. Either way, they're not getting it.

Thanks for reading my rant.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow