Pop-up event storytelling

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
drummercam Senior Member • Posts: 1,085
Pop-up event storytelling

Unveiling of "Emancipation," a.k.a. the "Freedman's Memorial" -- Lincoln Park, Washington, DC, being a reenactment on 4/16/18. Impersonators of Frederick Douglas and President Ulysses S. Grant were in attendance, as the originals were when the first unveiling took place in April 1876. "Mr. Douglas" delivered the same speech he gave when this monument -- Washington, DC's original "Lincoln Memorial" -- was dedicated in a similar fashion, shrouded until the proper moment. The actor delivered the speech very well; it was stirring and full of thought about Abraham Lincoln and race relations of the day (some of which unfortunately persist). Among other things, I wanted to capture the drop of the black shroud; I caught it at the precise moment I would have preferred. Please notice the statue called "Freedom" on top of the U.S. Capitol, more than a full mile away. I had checked out the perspective between these two statues weeks earlier, thinking it would come in handy to know the focal length to bring them into juxtaposition. So when I heard about this National Park Service staging, I took my Pentax 55-300mm WR RE lens and ran to the spot 75 yards away where the perspective lines up; this was counterintuitive to being up close, but it gives a comprehensive view of the event, with a little bonus in the image. I "developed" only the shroud-drop, as one can see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emancipation_Memorial

Frederick Douglas impersonator

Frederick Douglas & Ulysses S. Grant impersonators

Shrouded statue being readied to drop, plus Union Army Band of the period

Voila!

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Leica Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-S2 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow