Lumix G Vario 100-300mm lens

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DerekHollis New Member • Posts: 1
Lumix G Vario 100-300mm lens

I have a Lumix g Vario 100-300mm lens (H-FS100300), which I bought three years ago (Feb 2015) and paid just over £400 for. I've been very happy with it, and used it for wildlife photography.  It's on a Lumix G1 body.  It has started not focusing at the far end of its range. It will focus at the nearer end and then about two thirds of the way down its range as I try to zoom in on objects further away the autofocus won't work. There's a bit of a whirring sound sometimes but it won't focus.  I have a second Lumix G1 body and tried the lens on the second body - it did exactly the same so I reckon the fault is with the lens not the camera.

Have I worn the lens out?   Is this unusual for a lens at three years old?  It's been in use most days, sometimes for only a few shots, but on occasion maybe a couple of hundred.  The next question then is, whether it is likely to be cost effective to send it for repair.... or look to buying another.  Any thoughts and advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow