GH3 with Metabones and Tamron 18-300mm APS-C/DX Lens?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
organicroadmap
organicroadmap New Member • Posts: 10
GH3 with Metabones and Tamron 18-300mm APS-C/DX Lens?

Growing up, I used my dad's old Minolta but when he sold it for a Lumix FZ20, we both got hooked on the Panasonic line.

From the FZ20, I went to the FZ35, then FZ200 then finally made the switch from bridge to ILC - but I miss that 300mm (600mm) focal length on the superzooms.

Having used the GH3 for a few years now, I do not want to purchase a second camera just for focal length, let alone those small sensors.  If it were for personal use, it would not matter to me, but I require a consistent quality of the work I produce for clients - that's just how I feel about it.

I have the Pana 14-140mm, but as its reach is not long enough, this lens barely gets used.  I had briefly toyed with the idea of getting the 100-300mm or 100-400mm, but this would mean changing lenses in the field or carrying a second equipped with the short focal length.  Switching glass for photos while hiking wilderness trails, kayaking, etc. for clients is asking for trouble. One speck of dirt on the sensor is all it takes to ruin a day's work - and in most cases, there is no time to return for the second round of shots.

So now I have two camera bodies (GH3 and GM5) and I'm reconsidering my travel lens kit.

Current travel kit:

• GM5 with the Pana 20mm f1.7
  • GH3 with the Pana 12-35 f2.8

New travel kit:

• GM5 with the Pana 20 f1.7 (no change here)
  • GH3 with Metabones Speedbooster and Tamron 16-300mm
  • Sell 14-140mm
  • Sell 14mm f2.5
  • Keep 12-35mm f2.8
  • Keep 20mm f1.7

What do you think?

Does anyone have any experience with the Tamron 16-300mm on a Lumix system?

I use manual focus 50% of the time, so I am curious if the AF-S works.

-- hide signature --

All my gear is previously loved. <3

organicroadmap's gear list:organicroadmap's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow