How does Mirror-less Phased Detection work in comparison with SLT

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
Entropy512 Senior Member • Posts: 3,235
Re: Google Pixel 2 DPAF?

Wayne Larmon wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

In general, the approach is some method by which a sensel is not centered under the microlens. This can either be a half-masked sensel under a normal microlens paired with another nearby half-masked sensel (Fuji, older Sonys, probably others), dual sensels under each microlens (Canon DPAF), or large microlens covering two adjacent photosites (Techinsights calls this Sony approach "Dual PDAF").

Do you know how the DPAF on Google's Pixel 2 works? It works very well for AF and also for generating depth maps that are used for emulating shallow depth of field.

Wayne

Not sure - but if it's called DPAF it's probably similar to Canon's.

There seems to be a situation where Canon has been willing to license the DPAF patents to companies that are producing products (smartphone sensors) in areas where they don't compete.  In fact I believe some Sony smartphone sensors have DPAF - although they're manufactured by Sony for Samsung, and likely Samsung is the one that licensed the patents.

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow