Godox 860 flashes or AD200 Strobes

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lx200 Senior Member • Posts: 1,222
Godox 860 flashes or AD200 Strobes

All,  I have a Sony A7RIII setup, with many Sony lenses.  Have been into photography for many years (hobby only), mainly sports, birds, family, etc.

I have only used single on camera flashes, with bounce and diffusers.  Reasonable results for that limited setup.

I now want to start to investigate using lighting in a much more effective manner... I am helping local shelter with dog shots, and want to start doing something that produces more portrait type shots.

I had decided on a setup with three Godox 860 II flashes and remote trigger, and was going to start experimenting with various umbrella, diffusers, etc.

However, in reading many threads, I see people always suggesting going with Godox AD200 strobes instead.....

I have not been able to find threads that make a conclusive argument for either of these approaches, or whether a setup with one 860 and two AD200 might be good, or two 860 and one AD200, etc. etc.

So I ask...

1. If my budget can handle a three light setup, what do you suggest for dog/people portraits.... 860 II or AD200 or combination

2. Is there a brief primer on strobes vs flash and when one is clearly better than the other

3. Is one better if you are bouncing off umbrella or shooting thru large diffusers?

Does having the A7R III push you one way or the other???

-- hide signature --
Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow