Review of the 16-35 GM on OpticalLimits

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Arcimboldo Regular Member • Posts: 310
Review of the 16-35 GM on OpticalLimits

http://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff/1038-sony1635f28gm

The discrepancies of lab-based lens reviews are starting to get ridiculous. Compare this result to the one by DxOMark, for example. The overall result there is much, much better than at OpticalLimits. While the result I trust most, simply because of the number of samples, that is LensRentals, claims that sample variation is really good with this lens except for the long end, which should in turn mean that reviews should come to similar results if they are halfway objective. At the same time, LensRentals says that, although lens character is a bit different, this lens is just as good as the Mk III from Canon, which is said to be the best such lens.

So, now we have a review claiming this lens is up there with the best (LensRentals), one which claims it is by far the best of its kind (DxOMark), and one which thinks it's rather mediocre compared to much less expensive lenses such as the 16-35/4 ZA (OpticalLimits) or even the 24-105 G.

My consequence, in the meantime, is to have become totally uninterested in reviews at all, with somewhat of an exception of LensRentals, and just check whether I like personal results of the lens in practice. If I don't I will either return the lens or latter sell it via eBay, depending on how long it takes me to notice.

Reviews in general really just tell me whether a lens is a complete failure or that it might be interesting to further investigate. The price tag tells me basically the same thing.

What's your take of lens reviews?

Arcimboldo's gear list:Arcimboldo's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
C47
C47
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow