XQD Card Info on Availability

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
greenmanphoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,490
XQD Card Info on Availability

All,

According to Thom Hogan, Lexar will have XQD cards available again beginning in June or so.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/

“Meanwhile, over at (the new) Lexar I’m pretty sure that the question you wanted me to ask them is “where are the XQD cards?” Here’s your answer straight from the VPs: Lexar is now out of stock of all XQD gear they inherited from Micron (including work in progress inventory), and so is B&H and Adorama, et.al. Lexar’s new owners have now dealt with all the licensing issues with Sony and have restarted production in China. According to Lexar, they didn’t get any of the tooling from Micron, so they’ve had to build out their factory new for XQD support. But it won’t be until at least June that you see new inventory show up. Apparently this is just-off-the-press news. They weren’t going to invest in and start a new XQD production line until they had the licensing deal in place. They’ve got the licensing now, so they have started the new line.

Now that last bit—and ProGrade’s reluctance to do XQD—might tell you a little something about the behind-the-scenes game going on. Micron easily produced XQD cards (under the Lexar name) because they had a patent portfolio they could leverage against Sony’s. Apparently, to produce an XQD card you not only have to follow the standard, but you also need patent licenses from Sony. Pay to play, baby.

Still, all of you worrying that there is only one supplier of XQD should be able to relax a bit. Things will likely return to normal this summer when Lexar returns to the market with cards. And no, they wouldn’t tell me details like price and capacity.”

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D200, 16-85mm, 35-135mm, Sigma 10-20 f3.5 N8008s, Gitzo 2531, Induro DM-01 ballhead
Certified Texas Master Naturalist
Proud WSSA Member #260!
www.flickr.com/photos/sibeardjr
www.doormouse-editions.com

greenmanphoto's gear list:greenmanphoto's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow