Live Or Dead? And my first shots of the season!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
c h u n k
c h u n k Senior Member • Posts: 1,404
Live Or Dead? And my first shots of the season!

Guess its finally time for my annual "Spring is here - - WOOHOO" post. What a long winter its been. Think I say that every year also. So ready for the warm weather and arthropod wars playing out in my yard.

All shots are of a live spider that was placed back where I found her after a 20 minute kidnapping for photoshoot adventure. To each his own, and Im definitely no moral authority, but I never really understood killing or even chilling spiders and insects for photos when they have no scientific or educational intentions that require them to be killed. Im only saying that because I've been seeing it so much more over the past year. Im guessing because focus stacking and high magnification has become so common, which is way easier if they're dead. There are some GREAT focus stacked shots where the subjects aren't harmed, and some where they werent even captured, and a stack was shot right where the insect was found. I plan to work on that some this year as it looks extremely challenging and I admire that work most. Photogs that obviously believe in the beauty and not just the visual interest of these fantastic creatures. Once again, not judging, and not getting all tree hugger on anyone, but think we should all at least consider our responsibility to these creatures and environment. Personally, I photograph these animals because I think they are beautiful and hope that my images might help others recognize their beauty and shed some of the undeserved "creepy crawly" scary impression that so many people have about insects and spiders. It just wouldn't make sense to kill them to express that. "Hey look. I thought this spider was so beautiful I killed it for you to see". I understand others look at it differently, and maybe don't have the patience or skill to photograph live insects

It may be too much to ask by saying I'd like to hear others thoughts without a debate breaking out. We'll see.

Shots range from 1:1 to 2:1 with the exception being the one where she is on my fingertip, which was intentionally a bit less to show more of my finger and give some scale. Shot with a 70D, 100mm 2.8 macro USM, and the closer ones used a Raynox 250. Lit with a YN560 and DIY diffuser I learned to make from the kind people in this forum. All are a single shot (none stacked). Most were cropped to at least some extent. Definitely the smallest of this species I've ever seen, but its early in the season so that makes sense. As always, any comments, criticism etc welcome. Id be happy to answer any questions as well.

-- hide signature --

Some of my photos here: https://flic.kr/ps/2i6XL3
“You're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So... get on your way!” --Dr. Seuss

c h u n k's gear list:c h u n k's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
DVI
DVI
DVI
DVI
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow