a7x, a9 PDAF stripe noise technical analysis, part deux

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
PWPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 5,429
Re: a7x, a9 PDAF stripe noise technical analysis, part deux

RussKNY wrote:

Hi all,

Fascinating threads, both of them!

This was brought up earlier in the thread, but I don’t think there was a definitive answer. We know that A7III exhibits pretty much the same striping patterns as a9, but do we know yet if A7III is more susceptible to flares?

Cheers!

I don't know if they are the same as I don't own A7 III. But my A9 never generated such stripes in my usage (I shot lots of portrait these days with it) and I never heard this issue before but only LED banding from A9. Suddenly this A7 III stripe issue came from nowhere mainly after Rishi showed it in A7 III samples (still only 3 out of 100+ samples) while nobody else reported that from a group of other invited photographers at Sony event. Later we know this issue is not unique to A7 III or Sony but virtually in all mirrorless cameras with on-sensor PDAF points from other brands as well. Guess A7 III is just so hot these days and many are buying the camera, so it blows out of proportion with so much noises.

The reality is that if you want purposely demo it you can generate but basically none issue in real-world photography.  Even very few having the issue, there is already a solution in stripping the grid lines or if you don't want two processes you can clean it easily right in LR as I demo'ed above.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow