I almost left MFT for a Sony A7R iii. Forgive me father for I have sinned

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
RobbieBear Senior Member • Posts: 1,725
Re: Why 35-100 f/2.8 and 40-150mm f/2.8?

northlondon43 wrote:

Just Another Photog wrote:

Velocity of Sound wrote:

I'm just curious - you bought both the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 and the Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8. What was the reason? As far as I know they should operate identically for video. They have the same aperture, but a huge focal length overlap. Is there another difference between the two?

That’s an interesting catch, and not one I consciously made. I selected the Oly because I thought it would give me something more, but in fact you are correct in that I am spending a ton of money on essentially the same glass.

Here’s a question for you. Which one would you cancel and what lens or other bit of kit would you add to the mix?

I have both, the Olympus with the 1.4 TC -- the panny is my grab and go lens.

I have both. Bought the Panny recently as an easier “carry always” lens. However, was shooting yesterday at a nature reserve with the Oly. It is, in my opinion, a betterlens (on Oly body).

Output, IMO, is sharper than the Panny. Having f2.8 at 300mm FF equivalent AOV certainly allows great subject separation.

The Olympus, with the TC gives me 56-210, so not a huge crossover to me.

Adrian
An amateur, atheist, alliterationist

RobbieBear's gear list:RobbieBear's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TNS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow