Falling out of love with the 20/1.7. Time to look elsewhere.

Started 6 months ago | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nic22 Regular Member • Posts: 152
Falling out of love with the 20/1.7. Time to look elsewhere.

The Panny 20/1.7 ii was the first lens I bought after getting my EM10 and its kit lens. It served me well on many occasions and I just love its size, but in the end it has frustrated me when I have needed it most: in low-light situation (outdoors I can always use the 12-32mm or even the 14-140mm, which I find plenty sharp). It sometimes just hunts like crazy on my camera and two days ago, after missing too many shots at a family birthday party, I decided it was time to look into an alternative, even though I'm likely to miss dearly its compactness...

That's where I need your help. Here are criteria I'm considering in replacing the 20mm. Keep in mind that the only other prime I have is the 45/1.8.

1. Small and lightweight

2. Sharp

3. Good performer in low light

4. Good all-around focal length

5. Performs well on an Olympus body

6. Does not require me to renegotiate my mortgage (i.e. I very much care about the quality/price ratio)

I've read websites and threads but I'm not sure what to make of all of it. Also, I always wonder how relevant is a 2013 review: can't the manufacturer minimize sample variation with time? improve IQ? Anyway, the bottom line is that I'm a little lost.

I've listed the alternatives I've stumbled upon in my search and my concerns for each. I was wondering whether a consensus would form among forum participants (wishful thinking probably).

Thank you for your help and don't hesitate to let me know if I've forgotten viable alternatives.

nic22's gear list:nic22's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +2 more
POLL
Olympus 17mm/1.8 (I'm worried about reports about IQ)
45.5% 55  votes
Panasonic-Leica 15mm/1.7 (like what I read about it; I fear it may be too wide, and it's not cheap)
31.4% 38  votes
Panasonic Lumix 14mm/2.5 (I fear it's too slow)
2.5% 3  votes
Olympus 25mm/1.8 (I wonder whether 25mm is too long)
12.4% 15  votes
Panasonic 25mm/1.7 (worried about sharpness; a little big)
3.3% 4  votes
Panasonic-Leica 25mm/1.4 (like the aperture, not so much the weight, size and price)
5.0% 6  votes
  Show results
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow