Weird Pink Waves on Video?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
eFilm Senior Member • Posts: 1,412
Re: Weird Pink Waves on Video?

klevack wrote:

We have been shooting video interviews, and I'm doing the best I can to learn as I go. I'm working with a mixture of natural light + florescent light, and most of the time the video looks great on my camera but when I upload to my desktop has quite a blue hue to it.

It's probably the combination of different lighting. Fluorescent lights are not ideal for video for several reasons, one being the colour tint the 'ordinary' bulbs tend to have. It's often kind of green-ish blue, somewhat dull looking light.

Nevertheless, the blue cast in your screenshot could be caused by a number of reasons, including wrong colour temperature together with mixed lights like daylight and dodgy fluorescent bulbs. Could even be some UV pollution, but my bet is on mixed lights and wrong camera settings.

As the first aid solution, I'd get rid of the fluorescent lights, or alternatively block the daylight from the shot (talent), and double check your colour temperature / white balance setting.
Try to avoid mixed lights, especially when shooting on a budget. Regular tungsten lights would give better results than regular fluorescents, provided that you block the daylight hitting your talent. The background won't be as critical, but for a consistent look, choose your lighting style and block everything else. Take your time in choosing the ideal shooting location. Don't let your client choose it for you.

You can use blue (or orange) gels on your lights if necessary to mix better with practicals or even daylight. Getting rid of the colour cast created by cheapo fluorescent bulbs is trickier.
Make sure your camera is always on full manual mode, including exposure, white balance and ISO. No auto anything. Then adjust your settings until you get the desired result.
Don't rely on the backside telly of the Rebel for proper exposure or colour.

These pink waves appear all over his shirt. I can't seem to fix it in premier pro, and I'm terrified of it happening again!

Can anyone help me figure out what went wrong? Or if there is any way to fix it?

I use the Canon Rebel T6i.

It's the Rebel that went wrong.

The Rebels are infamous for their video quality which is infested with moire and aliasing. You cannot get rid of it without getting another camera. There's a low-pass filter made by Mosaic Engineering, but in the case of the Rebel that's not a particularly cost-effective option. It won't get rid of the aliasing artefacts, or even all of the moire, and having an extra filter element in the mirror box is a bit awkward and annoying. There is no easy way to fix it.

What you can do is to either swap the camera or ask the talent to swap his/her shirt for the shoot. Absolutely no striped shirts. Single colour shirts and jackets will be your best allies.

Although even that won't be a guarantee of swirl and artefact free footage. The moire and aliasing will be there, anyway. Upgrading your camera is the only long term solution.

All cameras with Bayer colour filters are susceptible to moire, especially those which have no low-pass filter. Those that also do line skipping and heavy compressing like the Rebels are even more likely to render those psychedelic patterns and coloured jagged edges on shirts, ties and other fabrics. You sometimes see the moire swirls in TV, too, but rarely as bad and distracting as that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow