I almost left MFT for a Sony A7R iii. Forgive me father for I have sinned

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Just Another Photog Forum Member • Posts: 90
I almost left MFT for a Sony A7R iii. Forgive me father for I have sinned

In attempting to rebirth my company from producing how-to videos to doing a TV series of 30 minute documentaries, I had worked hard to convince myself that I needed a full frame Sony A7R iii. I created a budget, researched the hell out of the camera gear and lenses. This past week was to be the crowning, and my orders.

Then I went to the National Association of Broadcasters Convention in Las Vegas. On day 2, I went by the Panasonic booth and asked him why I should shoot with the GH5 instead of the A7R iii. He said:

1. The GH5 has 64X the colour information than the

Sony. (4:2:2 in the GH5 rather than 4:2:0)

2. Pro audio controls on the GH5, none on the A7R iii

3. Lenses that are 2-3 times more expensive than the Panasonics.

4. To capture the best video on the A7R iii, you need to use crop sensor  About an APSC size piece

So, yesterday, I placed an order for .....

Panny 8-18mm

Panny 12-35 f2.8

Panny 35-100mm f2.8

Oly 40-150mm f2.8

this gets added to my current pro lenses, the Panny 100-400, the Panny 25mm f1.4 and the 14mm 2.5.

I also have a 20mm f1.7, 14-42, and 12-60 f4. Lastly a specialty lens from LensBaby. The glass I ordered I have always wanted. Now I have what I have always wanted in MFT glass

Then I bought a Gimbal for the tripod, and a motorized slider, some cube lights, some filters. Also a stabilizer for the camera for handheld work and a great pair of labellers that talk to one camera mounted receiver -oh  of course a new 1080p video monitor

Im working on my first script for episode 1 - the Pilot, and I will be ready for when ever spring comes (as I sit here looking out the apartment windows we are watching a Freezing rain storm that will knock out power later tonight )

So, I hope someone other than me have done some broadcast work. In 2014, I shot 50 hours of postcard video for some foreign network. This is my 2nd trip to broadcast video on a MFT camera’s.

Let  me know what you might do differently. All assistance is appreciated.

so, broke now. I need to get episode one done, sell it and start making money.

Just Another Photog's gear list:Just Another Photog's gear list
Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic GH5 Sony Alpha a7 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
Panasonic GH5 Sony Alpha a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TNS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow