Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera - Part 2

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
OzRay
OzRay Forum Pro • Posts: 19,048
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera - Part 2

Given that the previous thread has reached it's limit, I thought I'd start another part, as I think there's still quite a bit to discuss as more information comes available on this very interesting camera.

So I thought I’d do a bit of a pricing comparison between the BMPCC and the Panasonic GH5S, which are really the only two comparable m4/3 cameras in this working space.

We can go on forever about the video formats etc and we won’t know exactly how the two compare until the BMPCC becomes available, but I’m fairly certain that it’ll be nothing more than swings and roundabouts in the main.

However, we can compare some other aspects that are just as important, perhaps more so, to budding and not so budding videographers. For any serious videographer, most cameras in their native state are not really suitable for productive work and some accessories are essential. These accessories include cages, audio as well as visual aids.

Now given that most such accessories would be common to any camera, I decided to look at what might be needed as extras for the BMPCC and GH5S outside of the common accessories. I also tried to find the cheapest Australian prices for both, so as to give as fair a comparison as possible.

BMPCC

Body – $1815 (though mine is $1585)
Samsung 500GB Portable SSD T5 – $269
Total – $2084

Panasonic

GH5S Body – $2799
1080p 4K Monitor/Recorder – $2000 (starting price)
Monitor Holder – $100
Total – $4899

Unfortunately there are no cheap monitors/recorders that can do 4K at the moment (that I could find), but the Atomos Ninja V might fit the bill when it becomes available. That's not to say that a professional videographer won't want an external monitor/recorder, but with the 5"  built-in with the BMPCC, it's not an immediate requirement.

If I’ve missed anything let me know, but without even starting to look at cages and sound equipment, the GH5S is $3000 more than the BMPCC, which is a massive price difference. Even if you remove the external recording facility, it’s still a $1000 difference.

So anyone with $3000-$5000 to put into a professional video camera and accessories, the BMPCC will offer some excellent value, especially when you start looking at all the additional accessories possibly required.

-- hide signature --

Thoughts, Musings, Ideas and Images from South Gippsland
https://australianimage.com.au
YouTube

Canon EOS 1200D (EOS Rebel T5 / EOS Kiss X70) Panasonic GH5S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow