New tripod and..

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
nyairman
OP nyairman Regular Member • Posts: 218
Re: New tripod and..

just Tony wrote:

nyairman wrote:

..a few other things to make my life much easier. After much research, I decided on a new surveyors tripod. For $75.00 US, this Bosch BT160 Pro tripod is lightweight and heavy-duty as advertised! I had to order an adapter plate for the standard 5/8" -11 male thread. This set-up is extremely rigid. Twisting the head produces no movement at all!

Fornax Lightrack II, Manfrotto 410 machine head, Bosch BT160 Pro tripod, Polemaster polar scope, BYEOS, Canon 7DMII, Canon 100-400mm L II USM

+1 on the idea of a surveyor's tripod. Those folks are often seen along with road graders and bulldozers more so than in a backpacking scenario... in other words, they have vehicles to transport everything, and therefore didn't compromise stability for the sake of portability.

But I have to ask - is there a different configuration on that Manfrotto that places the payload closer in? It looks like it's one butterfly away from tipping over. At the very least I'd always have one of the legs point due North, to get it directly under the polar axis. Things do "go bump in the night" you know.

Thanks Tony! With the Manfrotto head, what you see is what you get. Looks can be deceiving. On my little Vanguard tripod it was top heavy and once I did not have a leg pointing North! The rig almost went down that night.

This tripod is really sturdy! I still make sure that there is a leg pointing north though. Better safe than sorry. I had this out for the first time last night and it proved to be a winner. Moving the Fornax polar scope arm resulted in no movement at all.

-- hide signature --

Greg

nyairman's gear list:nyairman's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow