New systems, and legacy lenses

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 4,328
"It depends"

davidedric wrote:

So I wonder what drives the thinking.

I have purchased several old Minolta AF lenses. I like, use, and appreciate them for various reasons.

Economics: make good use of existing lenses?

None of mine were "existing" to me, I bought them on eBay. For the most part, they are worth far more than what I paid.

Image quality: these are superb lenses, and I want to carry on using them?

Yes... and no. Most of these lenses were designed and built before many current technologies for optics existed. While often exhibiting some of the best IQ possible in the 1980s and 1990s, they don't hold up well with modern lens tests (like with charts, etc). However, since I am rarely taking pictures of flat test charts this has turned out to have little impact on my work. They have a "look" that modern lenses don't, and thus combined with modern lenses I can get a variety of optical styles.

Nostalgia: I just really like my old lenses?

I do

Something else?

There is a je ne sais quoi, certainly. I have an old Minolta 35/1.4G (horrible on modern tests) and a Sigma 35/1.4 Art (one of the best on modern tests). I like both, they have certain (different) strengths and I enjoy exploiting those.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow