After all this time? - Always

Started Apr 11, 2018 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TyphoonTW
TyphoonTW Senior Member • Posts: 1,484
After all this time? - Always

My 6D turned 5 years old last month. Tomorrow I'll go to pick up my brand new 5D4, and the 6D will officially retire and be relegated to second body/backup duties, even though I'll still carry it with me abroad just to increase the number of countries where we've been together.

When I bought it brand new in 2013 (funnily enough at the same price it has today, due to currency fluctuations and Canon's price increases last year) it replaced a Nikon D7100 that I had never enjoyed using due to a viewfinder that I simply couldn't adjust to fit my eyesight.

Over the course of these years I used it in all kinds of different situations, some of which aren't exactly the 6D's specialty.

There have been very few situations where the 6D clearly made me think that I needed a better camera, and most of those situations had to do with video and general Liveview performance.

While it's true that in 2018 the 6D is "old tech", I believe that for the prices it can be found second hand it's an absolute steal for anyone interested in using a full frame camera. While the 6Dii didn't increase the number of 6D bodies on the second market in my area, the recent release of the Sony A(something) definitely increased their numbers and I've seen some going for 650$. That price for this camera is bonkers.

"Yeah sure, the sensor is ok, ISO performance is not bad...but the 6D can't shoot sports!"

Yeah, about that...

Last year I shot the Taipei Universiade with the 6D, and after that I was invited (then hired) to take photos of the national volleyball leagues. I used the 80D as backup camera for less than 10% of the photos, the 6D carried the day so I'm not buying the whole:"The 6D can't shoot sports" stuff. I'm far (FAR) from being an experienced sport photographer, and if I can go by with a 6D I don't see why anyone else couldn't do it. Sure, the 6D's tracking is non existent and in some situations I'd have much preferred a better af system, but in a cost/benefits comparison I decided to forgo any upgrade for a long time, mainly because 95% of my photos are used online and don't require 500megapixels each, so a bit of cropping isn't a huge issue. The center af point is majestic, while the other 8 I think I haven't used them in months...so some cropping is often needed for better composition. The 5% of my photos that are printed are usually group shots or events, where cropping isn't needed and 20mp are plenty.

So, why upgrading? Well, I have an 80D, and when I tried the 6Dii I had the feeling that what I was holding was an 80D with full frame sensor. That's not a bad thing at all, but far from what I was looking for. The 5D4 seems like a body I could be using for many, many years to come, and it brings to the table so many improvements over the 6D that now that prices dropped a little bit (I got it for 2500$ with local warranty) I decided it was worth investing into something better, especially considering I'll have a few sport events abroad and having 5D4 + 6D + 80D makes me feel a lot more comfortable than 6D + 80D.

I think that reviewing the 6D in 2018 discussing its spec would be a waste of time as it's clearly outgunned by basically any other full frame camera released in recent years. What I do believe though, is that for anyone looking for a sub 1000$ full frame camera that can do pretty much everything (apart from reliably focus on birds in flight) a second hand 6D is a fantastic option, much cheaper than other cameras and with Canon's lens selection which is second to none.

Tomorrow I'll come back home with the 5D4's box, but my 6D already knows that nothing will ever take its place in my heart.

-- hide signature --

This is where I write stuff: http://randomibis.wordpress.com/
This is where I upload stuff: http://www.flickr.com/photos/107755637@N06/

TyphoonTW's gear list:TyphoonTW's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +2 more
Canon EOS 6D
20 megapixels • 3 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Sep 17, 2012
TyphoonTW's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow