The DSLR still looking strong...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 4,327
Re: Olympics!

quiquae wrote:

Pros do use underwater housing at the Olympics to shoot swimming events. Fisheye is infrequent but still found (see first image in the linked page).

That is an image taken with a fisheye lens, not an image of a fisheye lens. It was probably not taken by an Olympic sports photographer. Let's not lose sight of the subject: the photos we see of pros at work, and their gear, appropriately (and completely) define the future direction of photography gear. What gear was visible in the photo of Zuckerberg? A cell phone probably took that photo, but what counts is the gear seen in the hands of those pros. Nary a Phase 1 or fisheye to be found.

And the second link will tell you that pro Olympics shooters are, in fact, shooting tethered (via Ethernet or wireless) so that they can push images out as quickly as possible.

I don't see any photographers connected to a laptop, carefully working out their shot while they adjust light modifiers and lamps. I know those products are sold (as are micro 4/3 cameras and CPL filters)-- but if I don't see a wall of photographers using them on the sidelines of the Super Bowl, then they are insignificant in telling us the true future of photography.

When you see the assembled gaggle of photographers at the World Cup, the gear they are using is all that matters. That's why we post a photo of them and ask (rhetorically), "Why are there no [fill in blank]? Ha!"

There is only one type of "real" professional photography: credentialed pros crammed together for specific pre-planned events where they are all shooting the same thing. We all aspire to be one of them, thus we only care about the particular gear we see them using.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow