Try to shoot at ISO 100, if you want the best image quality

Started Apr 11, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
a l b e r t
a l b e r t Senior Member • Posts: 1,684
Try to shoot at ISO 100, if you want the best image quality

The DR of X-Trans III sensor are essentially the same at ISO 100 (ISO L) and ISO 200 as reported by PhotonsToPhotos:

While the DR of the Sony A7iii has DR of 1.5 stop over the X-H1 (also from PhotonsToPhotos), the DR value of the A7iii at ISO 200 is only 10.7, vs X-H1's 10.1 at ISO 200. So there isn't a lot of advantage in terms of DR for the A7iii, as soon as you hit ISO 200.

For the longest time, we all assume the DR at ISO 100 on the Fuji is not as good as ISO 200. Clearly, the chart at PhotonsToPhotos is saying otherwise.

I did some test shots, and I found that for some reason, the camera's JPEG engine will tend to clip the highlight a bit if you're shooting at ISO 100. But the RAF file at ISO 100 tells you another story. The RAF file is able to retain the DR even without trying to recover for the highlight.

So here are the test shots processed using Iridient Developer. First shot by the A7iii, and the second by X-H1. Can you tell the difference? Shadow noise is non-existent in both shots. If I shoot the same scene with X-H1 at ISO 200, the shadow noise is a lot more.

When processed with Iridient, I tried to calibrate the sharpness and white balance as closely as possible, and try not to over sharpen as there are many near horizontal lines that are prone to sharpening artifacts. I also used Pro Neg. Hi film simulation in both cases.

There is a tiny bit of moire in the A7iii shot, and is not there with X-H1.

A7iii ISO 100

X-H1 ISO 100

Now perhaps Fuji should give us Auto ISO with the lowest selection of ISO L instead of starting at ISO 200?

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7 III +14 more
Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
rlx
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow