Lighting macros

Started Jul 24, 2010 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 13,256
Re: Lighting macros

CoolColJ wrote:

Duncan C wrote:

I haven't done a lot of shooting lately, but I'm on vacation on Cape Cod, and brought my camera.

I like shooting insect macros. I shoot handheld, and shoot skittish insects like butterflies, dragonflies, bees, etc. Thus, I need fast shutterspeeds. I also use small apertures to maximize the limited DOF. That combination means I need tons of light.

I've used all different kinds of lighting setups over the years, including dual flash macro brackets, a dedicated TTL ring-flash, etc, etc.

Believe it or not, my favorite macro rig is a little pop-up diffuser that I got from eBay for about $10 US. It attaches to the front of the lens and I fire my hot-shoe flash through it. It gives MUCH better light than my $400 TTL ring-light, and is easier to use.

Here's a picture of it:

So I bought a similar diffuser from Ebay.

When I unpacked it, it sprung out to full size.

Now I can't figure out how to collapse it back down into the case!!

I need help on how to get it back into the case!

thanks

Take hold of the diffuser on opposite sides and twist in opposite directions.  Fold each side over the middle.

YouTube - Gavin Hoey - How to fold a reflector in two easy steps

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
v_
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow