The size and weight of 16-35 GM

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
sapple
sapple Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: The size and weight of 16-35 GM

jor23 wrote:

Hello

I am wondering if you can weigh in in terms of the size and weight of the 16-35 GM.

I am tempted to get it, instead of Batis 25 + Batis 18 (or Loxia 21). I find myself shooting wider nowadays, mostly documenting family outings and trips. I own 16-35 F4 and find it bigger than my other prime lenses, but manageable.

Do not want the 24-70 GM, due to its size and weight. Have the size and weight of the 16-35 GM been a problem for you? I can see myself traveling with just this GM and a 85 (or 55). If I get the Batis combo, I think I also would be fine, but shooting 90% at 25mm.

I looked at my metadata on the 16-35 F4. half at 16mm and half at 35 ... I am not a great photographer. But my 28mm is 100% shot at 28mm.

Another thought is that I am getting a7Riii. The 16-35 gM would be 24-50? But the Batis can be 25 and 40 (close to 35 that I want).

Hard decisions. But I am mainly concerned about the size and weight of the GM lens now.

I own the 16-35gm and the Zeiss 55. Those are the only lenses I use. Eventually I will get a portrait lens, but for now I feel pretty well covered.

The 16-35gm is quite large. It's also heavy. No one will ever think it's compact. If you are concerned about this you should go try it out in store.

That said the lens lives on my camera and I have no trouble shooting with it. My wife has no trouble shooting with it. I have handed the camera to my 5 year old niece ( with some guidance) and she had no trouble shooting with it. It's not like it weighs 50lbs. Just buy a nice shoulder strap so you can carry your camera comfortably handsfree.

-- hide signature --
 sapple's gear list:sapple's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow