I have to consider the possibility that Fuji is done developing the X-system

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
razorfish Contributing Member • Posts: 602
I have to consider the possibility that Fuji is done developing the X-system

I just saw new rumors of GF lenses, while XF lens development has been stagnant for almost a year. Lenses that have been announced for 2018 are too huge for my taste, and 2019 is still far away. I have two great lenses, a 23mm f2.0 and 56mm APD, but so much is still missing. What I need first is a smallish action tele zoom (50-140mm f2.8 is too big), and a long but not too huge tele prime (such as a 250mm or 300mm f4).

It seems more and more like Fuji management are content with today's lens lineup for the X system. Granted, if Fuji consider Sony their main competitor, the XF lens lineup is not bad, and lenses are comparatively somewhat smaller. But for me, the alternative is Micro Four Thirds, and that system has access to a range of very attractive lenses (particularly teles) of a very compact design. I don't know what Fuji management are thinking, but pouring all their R&D into the GF system, it seems they consider huge sensors is a big part of the future in photography. I couldn't disagree more.

Just look at the development that's going on with cellphone cameras, with sensors that are the fraction of the size of APS-C or Micro Four Thirds. APS-C is in fact a huge digital sensor, and the only reason some people call it "cropped" is the legacy of 35mm film. But when cellphone photographic software and other new tech finds its way into Micro Four Thirds, how long will there be a need for 35mm or larger digital sensors? I see Fuji's GF sensor as complete overkill today, and I believe future development in the industry will just make this more clear to more and more photographers. Fuji's greatest asset is in fact the excellent JPEG engine and film simulations. The main thing I enjoy with Fuji is the workflow where I can use film simulations when shooting to select the look I want and obtain usually great results out of camera, and then develop only a select few images in a RAW converter as needed. Compared to processing each and every file as I used to with Panasonic, this is a big draw, but without new lens announcements I'm afraid photographers like myself will eventually tire and find our way back to Micro Four Thirds.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
amd
amd
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow