MFT vs Mirrorless

Started Apr 7, 2018 | Discussions thread
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 13,247
Re: MFT vs Mirrorless

lds2k wrote:

Donald B wrote:

I think you need to visit a camera shop to see side by side lens and then geat back to us with a realistic view , have you seen a canon 70 200 beside a oly 40 150 pro lens lately ?

Don

This threat is getting hard to follow the different thoughts and points... I said previously that I coincided that the advantage of lens size and weight were lost as lenses got faster and faster but when all is said and done you're still left with a bigger APC sensor in the camera and I believe that sensor size is the only thing that matters. That's why everyone who follows this stuff has one one on medium format as it begins to creep into the discussion with the new Hasselblad X1D.

Rather than imagining what you want, why don't you simply grab the weights and sizes of a typical M4/3s kit, and an APS-C kit that gives you the advantage of the extra sensor size, and see what happens?

Here you go. I'll list my common travel kit.

E-M1 II

Pana 100-400 f4-6.3

Oly 9-18 f4-5.6

Oly 12-40 f2.8

60mm f2.8 macro

= 2.28 kg

Now, you put together an APS-C kit with something similar that can take advantage of the extra size of the APS-C sensor.

D50

200-500 f4-f6.3

12-24 f4-5.6

16 - 50 f2.8 (used 17-50 f2.8 )

80 mm f2.8 macro (used 70mm f2.8 )

= 3.9kg

Perhaps it's time to revisit your premise?

This may help with discussions on equivalence.

^^^ This graph plots the sizes and weights for a bunch of cameras showing the typical increase in size and weight per stop of IQ improvement.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
sbu
sbu
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow