Really great lens and a nice update to the original

Started Apr 6, 2018 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,636
Really great lens and a nice update to the original

First, let me say where I've come from with this lens.   I owned the original G1 version a couple times and liked it in general.   I have also owned and enjoyed the Canon 24-105 f4L is version 1.   I have not owned the Canon 24-70 f2.8L mark ii, so I won't be able to compare it to that.

Build - The build quality of this lens is very nice and a substantial improvement over the g1.   It feels much more tightly put together and actually feels more premium than the 24-105L.   The zoom ring is very smooth (although it is placed furthest from the camera, which I don't love).   The focus ring is reasonably smooth, but it is very small.  The focus ring is one thing I prefer on the Canon.  Weather sealing seems pretty decent.   The lens is heavier than the g1 and the Canon, but doesn't feel super heavy.  Overall, the build of the lens feels like a huge upgrade over the g1 and it feels like a professional lens.  Nicely done Tamron.

Focus - Focus speed is excellent!   I did not directly compare to the G1, but I did directly compare to my Canon 24-105 f4L, and the new Tamron is faster.   I was quite surprised by that.   I would say the G1 is the slowest, the f4L in the middle and the G2 is the fastest.  Focus accuracy has been quite good so far.

Vibration Compensation - The VC on this lens is absolutely excellent!  It is extremely quiet (much more so than my noisy Canon).   The G1 was also silent, but the VC on this new lens seems to engage quicker than the first version.

Image Quality - IQ seems really nice on this lens.  It is sharper than my Canon f4L, even at f2.8 (vs f4 of the Canon).   It gets a nice boost in sharpness and contrast even when stopped down a tiny bit.   The bokeh doesn't seem to have as strong of an onion effect as the original did, but I haven't compared side by side.   I remember that being annoying on the G1, but i haven't noticed it yet on this one.   Overall, image quality is really nice.  I'm sure the Canon f2.8 mark ii is better, but at a very steep price.

This is a fantastic lens and I highly recommend it.   I think it is a very nice upgrade over the original and also over the Canon 24-105 f4L is!

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD G2
Canon EF, Nikon F (FX) • A032
Announced: Jun 30, 2017
diness's score
Average community score
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow