Where are you selling your old camera gear - eBay doesn't work anymore.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 19,269
As you said, ignore eBay, and...

...try the following:

Selling gear can be a complicated affair anymore, as electronic prices just nose dive big time - even after just one month of ownership. So here is what I do, and I almost always wind up selling my gear in a timely manner.

1. Mentally - accept the reality that what you believe the camera is worth (to you) is not always the reality for folks looking to buy. Remember, potential buyers have plenty of options - unless what you're selling is a one of a kind item.

2. Take a variety of superb images of the camera gear that you are selling. Do NOT use a cell phone to take the images. Remember, buyers who can see a crystal clear image of the gear your are selling will have many of their questions answered visually. This is even more true if the gear you are selling are in mint condition. After all, you want folks to see that fact.

3. Now when posting, don't focus on just one site. I use the following sites to sell.  It's good to engage in "Saturation bombing" as far as selling is concerned.  Yes, it takes a bit more effort as you are checking all of these sites - but at least you'll have your bases covered.

a. The DPReview for Sale forum.

b. The Four Thirds Photo for sale forum - link here:

https://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/forums/43-Buy-Sell

c. www.photo.net - specifically their classified forum:

https://www.photo.net/discuss/forums/classified.2605/

d. www.mu-43.com - For sale forum:

https://www.mu-43.com/forums/member-buy-sell-trade.17/

e. And yes - even post it on Craigslist. Believe it or not, a good 25% of my sales have come from Craigslist and I got the prices I wanted.  You can also post in the for sale forum on Fred Miranda - but you have to pay an annual fee to sell there.

4. Remember, start at a given price point. Look on eBay (sold listings) to give you some idea as to what gear sold for - review the condition of the gear. You should be able to determine an average. Start from there - but you must be flexible enough after a period of inactivity to realize that you may have to lower you prices.

5. Finally, I've found it logical and successful by stating the reason for my selling a particular item, the condition it's in, my location, the type of payment you're willing to accept, methods of contact, etc. Over the past 7 months I put up 17 different camera items - bodies, lenses, accessories - and I sold them all with the exception of one item.

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
Bernd ("Ben") Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina USA

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus SP-570 UZ Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X10 +39 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow