Newbie with Nikon D5600 and Nikon 18-200 lens

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
robbo2 Contributing Member • Posts: 619
Re: Newbie with Nikon D5600 and Nikon 18-200 lens

I have a D5600 with a number of lenses. The best for low light shots are the Nikon 50mm F/1.8 and Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 G2. The first you can get for less than $200 sometimes on sale, while the latter is just under $1,300 most of the time. Tamron and Sigma both have image stabilized 17-50mm f/2.8 lenses for the D5600. The Sigma is normally around $369 and the Tamron is just under $300 online.

Indoor sports shots are hard. You need a fast shutter speed to catch the action, but the lighting is usually dim. That means you need to hike the ISO setting. Most reviewers of the D5600 write that it has acceptable image quality up through ISO 6400. Some hard to please pixel peepers will set the limit at ISO 3200 and more relaxed types will say it's ok through ISO 12,800. I think the ISO 6400 limit is a reasonable one.

Then you need to get a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the action. Some people say 1/500 of a second is fast enough. Others say you need 1/1,000 of a second. I usually go for 1/800 of a second. For the cheerleaders' shots you have shared, I think 1/600 would get you reasonable sharpness.

I felt very nervous when I was considering buying the Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 G2 lens. Though it was on sale (less than $1,200 with a sale price and coupon), it was still more than any camera with kit lens I had ever bought. If I were a relative newbie to digital DSLR's, I probably would opt for the 17-50mm's by Sigma and Tamron - just about a quarter of the price and more than half of the fun. However, I have been a digital photo enthusiast for more than 15 years, so I just took the plunge.

Some things about sports photography we just have to learn by trial and error. How slow a shutter speed can we use and still be happy with image sharpness? How high can be hike the ISO setting before noise turns us off? I am still learning.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your pictures. Good luck with your D5600.

robbo2's gear list:robbo2's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-10 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D7500
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow