Why and Why Not of the A7iii for ME Locked

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,819
Re: Agree Sony FF + M43 (travel/telephoto) = death of the need for APS-C

samtheman2014 wrote:

007peter wrote: I believe M43 can not only Benefit but Thrive in this new age of FF mirrorless:

• Emphasize on M43 smaller size advantage
  • Making smaller & more portable camera
  • Making smaller & more portable lens

As nice as A7-III is, there is no escape that FF F/2.8 zoom will be Huge & Expsensive. I see opportunity for M43 making newer & smaller F/2.8 zoom for traveling. At any rate:

Though to get the same job done on FF mirrorless you do not need an F/2.8 zoom . In fact an F/5.6 lens would do the exact same job. What few F/5.6 zooms exist tend to be low end low price models , however Sony has some very good F/4 lenses and whilst not a svelte as the F/2.8 m43 lenses there is not much in it size wise. For me it is the length of the lenses that matters most

I agree with what you're saying, a FF @f/5.6 is as effective - if not better - to M43 @f/2.8.  Another advantage is that FF F/5.6 lens are much cheaper than an outrageously expensive F/1.2 M43 primes.  Essentially, there 2 solutions to the same problem:

1. Increase the Speed-of-the-Lens with smaller sensor

2. Increase the Size of the Sensor,but keep the lens small & cheap

M43 is currently @an disadvantage because in order to compete toed to toed, you need to buy Big & Expensive F/1.2 prime @all focal length.  Yet, a $1200 Olympus 17mm f/1.2 is really no more than a FF equivalent of 35mm f/2.4   ouch.

Where as FF camera, you paid for sensor once, but then all your slow & cheap f/5.6 lens are as effective as f/2.8 on M43.  I should clarify what I say:  I think

• Small & Cheap M43 camera will THRIVE in this age of FF mirrorless
  • Big & Expensive m43 camera or lens will DIED in this age of FF mirrorless

The opportunity is there for M43 format, as long as you're NOT competing against FF camera in the same segment with a 1/4 size sensor.  If Olympus & Panasonic want to be a stable in the $2000 PRO market, I think going 4:3 FF is inevitable.

My m43 camera { GX8} with 12-40mm pro compared to my Sony FF { A7rII } with 24-105mm the Sony has a longer focal length while still holding a one stop DOF etc advantage. I do not consider 18mm longer a big deal

For me either of the above set-ups would make for a nice travel kit. With the 42mp I can use APS crop mode extending the 100mm to an effective 150mm whilst still having an 18mp file. And any other accessories: batteries , chargers, memory cards , flashguns etc are all the same size

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow