35mm 1.4 ZA Lens vs. Sigma 1.4 Art Lens

Started Mar 26, 2018 | Questions thread
tn1krr Senior Member • Posts: 1,318
Re: 35mm 1.4 ZA Lens vs. Sigma 1.4 Art Lens

HFLM wrote:

tn1krr wrote:

Scrollop wrote:

You've probably read a few of the discussions about these lenses.

I'd say:

If your budget is low, get the Saymyang.

If you want the sharpest images, then [it's a tossup between the Sigma, though a good copy of the Sony is very sharp. If you take 10 copies of each lens the Sigma will be slighly sharper, according to MTF charts.

Could you point to a sensible real-life MTF test that says these are a tossup? I've never seen these two even very close.

If you look at lensrentals test the best Sony you can find has hard time matching the a below the average Sigma. If you take averages from sample sets Sigma is way ahead and it is not even very close. Even Roger's commentary that is usually very measured is quite harsh here.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/10/sony-e-mount-lens-sharpness-bench-tests/

At some time I had the Sony and Sigma for Nikon. At 100% the Sigma was a tiny bit sharper, however in real life, it was hard to see a difference and find fault with the Sony at all. I really like the 35/1.4, esp. its excellent AF. For me it is a great lens.

Right now, I use the 35/1.4ii for Canon, too. Again the Canon is a but sharper if you stage a test scene. However, as we use those lenses at weddings for people, you won't see a difference in real life 99% of the time. If we pair the 35/1.4ii with the 5div then the A7riii and FE35 will always result in superior sharpness downsized to 30MP, owing to the 42MP and lack of AA filter.

I have no problem with any of that but when one uses term MTF and QA statistics they should have a source, if not those words lose their meaning and become equal to "I think". FE 35/1.4 on a 42 MP Sony body can achieve sharpness that was not possible in any FF body with any 35 mm lens some years ago, but that or it's AF performance (which I do not doubt at all, I did not like my MC-11 + Art 35/1.4 AF too much) have nothing to do with it's optical performance or QA issues when compared to competition.

I'm a pixel peeper and have tried to get myself to like lenses like FE 24-70/4 OSS that would be nice & somewhat compact normal zoom, but it's lack of optical performance on a 36 or 42 MP Sony was very very obvious when I tested it compared to other lenses I had at that time. The fact that I've seen a huge pile of excellent/stellar pictures taken with one, many them way above my skill level does not make that lens any better optically.

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow