Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Jonas Palm Contributing Member • Posts: 791
Re: History

NCV wrote:

CharlesB58 wrote:

NCV wrote:

Yandrosxx wrote:

If I were sitting in a studio with strobes all about, then sure the A7 III makes great sense. But the lens sizes and costs simply are not competitive with m4/3 offerings. And IQ differences between systems are not significant enough to chase FF. M4/3 rarely have to shoot at 1600, 3200 or 6,400 as they can be handheld even at very long focal lengths at 200, 400 and 800.

All this panicked discussion that m4/3 is a dead eco system is laughable. And every year since at least 2011 someone proclaims its death. And here we are in 2018 with increasing sales.

Its the size of the lens gear that has not been matched and is not likely to be matched by FF systems. And thats the primary reason that FF is going to continue to struggle against the emergence of m4/3 systems. Convenience, portability with very very good IQ.

The history of photography tells that there will be a shift to ever smaller sensors.

Given the remarkable performance of the camera in my Google Pixel 2, I'd say that will happen sooner than some expect.

My son had to do some filmmaking for his degree in communication studies. His Group shot on an iPhone 6.

The lecturer could not believe what "camera" they had used. The videos were perfect to view on my large work monitor.

For casual family shots, I believe the “camera” is already redundant.

If I was still shooting dance those long 4K bursts in the GH5 and G9 would be a great aid to capturing peak moment. The direction much professional work will move to is video with extraction of single frames.

This will be an even stronger option with 8k HDR video. And we are getting there soon in consumer cameras.

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand

This quote irritates me no end  🙂

When I look back at 40 years of photography, all my dabbling in various photography-for-the-sake-of-photography leave me cold. I tried, learned, and moved on. But nothing I found in my own navel or “images” that were just visually catching engages me much now. People I’ve cared about, who had memorable personalities, places that were meaningful for whatever reason - those are the images that has stayed relevant. The thing photographed. Not how it looked photographed. My lifes experience to this point is the direct opposite of the quote.

Jonas Palm's gear list:Jonas Palm's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow