35mm 1.4 ZA Lens vs. Sigma 1.4 Art Lens

Started Mar 26, 2018 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cgomez
cgomez Junior Member • Posts: 40
35mm 1.4 ZA Lens vs. Sigma 1.4 Art Lens

;tldr Talk me out of purchasing the high end Sony 35mm 1.4 lens.

I currently have the Zeiss 55mm 1.8, the 24-105 G lens and the 28mm f/2 lens. The 28mm rarely gets used because if I'm going to pick two lens for a trip, it's going to be the more versatile 24-105 and the 55mm because of its tried and true output.

I'm interested in a shallow DOF and some of the stylistic advantages that a f/1.4 lens offers and am considering the 35mm Distagon model. Putting aside the inconsistent build quality — is this a worthwhile addition to my lens rotation?

My concerns are that that it is large and costly. I don't mind the size of the 24-105 as a travel/walking around lens, so the 35mm 1.4 isn't that huge by comparison, but it is large for a prime, especially one that I'm most curious about for its use in street photography. And then there's cost: I don't mind that it's up there in price given the limited age and variety of FE lenses and that its performance is impressive, but the upcoming Sigma lens at half the price are tempting.

With that said, with Sigma embracing full frame E-mount, what's the consensus on that vs. the 35mm 1.4 ZA?

Thanks for any feedback. Trying to put the brakes on GAS and I'm not one to buy something when I'm not almost certain I'll keep it.

cgomez's gear list:cgomez's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow