Any sightings of the Oly 17mm 1.2 PRO?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Peter in Milton Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: I have one - favorite lens.

Velocity of Sound wrote:

I bought mine from Amazon. I'd guess Olympus thought that this would be the least popular of the f/1.2 prime trio. I also own the 25mm f/1.2; I went with the 17mm because these days most of my photos are of my young child, and to get the framing that I wanted with the 25mm meant stepping back a bit farther than I wanted. The 17mm is just about perfect. It still gives me beautiful subject isolation with my preferred style of background blurring (blurred enough to remove fine details, but not enough that you can't make things out). I think that the 17mm is sharper than the 25mm, too, but I guess the lens test sites will tell whether that's true or not.

The only downside of the 17mm is that its aperture mechanism isn't completely silent. All of my other µ4/3 lenses have essentially silent apertures, but with the 17mm I can hear it. It's quiet in video mode, but for photos I can make it out fairly easily. It's not as loud as the 4/3 aperture mechanisms were, though. And I don't know - maybe it's just my copy that is a bit noisy. I don't mind, and won't be sending the lens back over it.

If it's sharper than the 25mm 1.2 Pro, then it will be a truly amazing lens.  Frustrating that some people have been using it for a while, but I can never seem to find one.   Hopefully I son't have to wait much longer.

Peter in Milton's gear list:Peter in Milton's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow